The New Electric Bike I Want This Week! (Numbers 3,4,&5 - Sodium, CSC, Sondors)

The Sodium, the CSC, and the Sondors

 Before we get to the bikes - two explanations.

First, I've been drinking coffee with motorcycle guys lately, and I'm jonesing more than usual for an electric motorcycle, so I may over-do-it with this post.

Second, for an around-town motorbike, I've established my acceptable speed/range/price and examine all new bikes through that filter. I've landed on 45mph/40mile/$3,500. As much as I love being on two wheels, I don't have a big desire or the time to travel hundreds of miles per day burning up the highway. I just want a bike I can hop on and scoot about town as part of daily life.

Now, let's get those wheels rolling!

Sodium Xubaka (50mph/37-50miles/over $7,000)


Click pic for Xubaka link

So, let's start with the weirdest of the three - the Sodium Xubaka (I hope that is the French spelling of "Chewbacca". If so, they should offer a furry brown seat and a bandolier as options.) The coolest thing about the Sodium lies in the company name - it sports (or will sport) sodium-ion batteries. For us eco-dorks, sodium is vastly more plentiful and sustainable than lithium. Woohoo!

Specs for the much slower Euro-compliant version

The second coolest thing is its utilitarian simplicity. Check out that layout! The frame looks like a motorcycle version of the Yuba Mundo cargo bicycle. For a round-town runabout, I challenge you to find anything it's missing (other than sex appeal). It's a cargo bike, a people hauler. It's low-maintenance and brutally simple. I really love the whole idea and of the three bikes featured today, I believe this design would be the most useful to live with.

The third coolest thing about it (if it lived in my garage) is that I'd never walk out into the garage to find it missing - I can't imaging my wife would even consider being seen on the ugly thing. (I'd have to buy two of the Sondors to ever have a chance of riding.)

What don't I like? The price and those massively fat tires that would roll over lots of stuff but make it handle like a Caterpillar -  but mostly the price.

The CSC Monterey (32mph/20-65miles/$2,400)


Click pic for the CSC Motorcycles page

So close, snagit! Yes, it's an electric Honda Cub copy from a company that already offers a couple of appealing electric motorbikes and a handful of electric bicycles here in the US. No, it's not made in America, but it has the support of a reputable seller that stocks parts here in the states.

One big plus for this bike - it is available now and ready to ship - unlike the other two.

(Let me digress - I love vintage scooters. The pinnacle of desirability for me is a vintage scoot with an electric drivetrain. Electric conversions of Cubs and the off-road versions of it have proven more than droolworthy on this blog.)


When I first saw this bike, my pulse raced and I started scheming on how to own one. All of that for $2400! How could you go wrong? But that 32mph top speed kept poking me. I already own a converted vintage scooter that I never ride due to its 28mph top speed. If the top speed had been 38-ish...maybe.

And I still have hope - the Monterey is currently available with a 60-volt system. If CSC were able to offer it with  72 volts/3000 watts, then it would fall close enough to my speed range and the price increase would (hopefully) stay down in that sub $4K area. 

CSC already offers a less appealing (to me) electric scooter with that 72 volt setup. Hmm. (And my wife probably wouldn't want to ride this one either.) The Monterey is a bike I could afford and live with happily - if it were a little faster.

The Sondors Metacycle (80mph/80miles/$5,000)

Yes, I saved the sexiest for last!

I admit - I was pretty cynical when Sondors hit the scene in 2015 with their first product - a very inexpensive, fat-tired e-bike. But they pulled it off very successfully and now they sell a variety of inexpensive e-bikes. My (coffee) drinking has bought three now and I'm impressed with their durability.


Click pic for Sondors website

Sondors is now branching into e-motorcycles with the Metacycle. And I am excited!

There are two things I really like about this bike. The first is its cast aluminum frame. No, they're not the first to do it, but they are one of the first in this price range and it's very smart. Casting one piece of aluminum is a much more efficient process than cutting, bending, and welding a bunch of tubing into a frame. And, it looks pretty darn cool!


The second thing I like about this bike is its purpose - a super simple commuter. It's not a racer. It's not a cross-continental cruiser. It's just right for getting you around town every day. I've been waiting for someone to start offering a motorcycle like this. Sur-Ron and NIU and Super Soco have been working in that direction, but Sondors may just be the first to offer North America an affordable electric motorcycle to compete with 250-300cc gas burners currently available. This bike represents a new wave of accessible petroleum-free transport when an e-bike is just not enough.

It should need minimal maintenance - no chain, no sprockets, no oil, no clutch. Mechanically, it's actually simpler than most electric bicycles. When you get rid of chains and shifters and pedal assist, you're left with a very small number of moving parts. Bring it on, Storm Sondors!

This bike has potential to be the tip of a small revolution here in the states!

(Ignore this next graphic unless you always feel like you could do something better or cheaper if you just had the right formula. It's a bit of curse that some of bear.)

Click pic for link

As always, I hope that you are well and I thank you for reading! Be safe and work for better.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)