A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)

So, let's talk turn-key klunker again.

After spending a year riding and upgrading a (pseudo) klunker, it's become my favorite type of bike. The old HuffKlunk morphed into my favorite mountain-BMX-short-distance commuter, and it's the easiest bike for a grab-and-go ride. Surprisingly, it's also one of the lightest and most comfortable bikes I've owned.

So, now I keep an eye out for klunker news and...guess what - a new one popped up this week - the Schwinn Rumbler. And it's down in my almost-willing-to-spend-that-on-a-bike price range.


The few specs I found
Schwinn Rumbler (Blue)

While the thing is gorgeous, I have one concern - it looks pretty small. (My legs like bigger bikes.) I can only find it on the City Grounds site and on eBay (where it costs a lot more). There are no photos of it next to anything for reference. It's not even listed on the Schwinn website. But I love the look and the BMX components and retro straight-bar frame. Sigh - this one's cool.

My favorite - the Schwinn Rumbler (silver - but I hope it's chrome)


On to the next Klunker:

Next up is the Retrospec Sully, which seems to have been inspired by the short-lived but legendary Transition Klunker, which seems to have been inspired by the Schwinn Heavy Duti and/or the Worksman INB.


Yes, you've seen this bike on 2WM before, but there have been some critical updates - it comes in three new colors and the price dropped $20! I'm digging all three colors (desert tan, sky blue, and matte black) and I'm digging the lower price and free shipping. Also, the frame is obviously a few inches taller than the Schwinn Rumbler - my legs dig that.

Our next turn-key klunker is a also carryover from our original Turn-Key Klunker list - the Sun RevMX. If you're a klunker purist, this one closer to the original formula of heavy duty frame, balloon tires, and a single-speed coaster brake rear wheel. Its only modern update is that has 27.5" tires instead of 26".


At $399, it's a pretty sweet bike that should provide a lot of klunking for a lot of years.

Next up is a bike that is a touch of cruelty on my part - at least for those in the USA. It's the Columbia Rambler.

The Columbia Rambler (out-of-stock at WalMart.ca)

With dual disc brakes and three-piece cranks, it's not a bike for klunker purists. But I seriously dig the twin top-tube frame and its capability in the stopping department. When it's in stock, it hovers around $200 Canadian and I've only seen it listed on the Canadian Wal-Mart site. Coumbia and Walmart, if you sell it here, I promise to buy one (preferably the black one.)

Yep, definitely the black one

For you OG klunker types, sit up and take notice - the next two are seriously legit old-school klunkers, but you'll need to change the handlebars ad maybe the tires. If you show up for a coaster-brake race on one of these, nobody's going to give you grief.

First up is the Schwinn Heavy Duti. (Yes, that's how it's spelled.) 

A Schwinn Heavy Duti on eBay

I normally see these for sale on the Dick's Sporting Goods site, but (like most bikes in 2020) they haven't been in stock lately. At $499 plus $80 shipping, I hesitated to include it in the list, but that would be a disservice to you klunker fans. This bike is heavy duty duti from all directions, has 26" balloon tires, and a coaster brake. If you want bulletproof, the black and yellow bruiser is a great choice. (I'm hoping to pick up a used Heavy Duti frame for my next build.)

Next on the OG list is the other originator- The Worksman Industrial Newsboy.


This American-made beast, like the Schwinn HD, is built for long-term durability and is highly sought after in the klunker world. It's a lot like the VW Beetle of the bike world - as the rest of the world has upgraded and and updated, Worksman got it right early on and has continued to offer the same bike for years and years. If you're in the Don't-fix-it-if-it-ain't-broken camp, this bike is for you. At $409 and roughly $80 shipping, this one comes in under $500 (before tax),

Okay, that's enough for this post. I'm feeling itchy to go for a ride and the HuffKlunk is calling my name.

The HuffKlunk

Get out and enjoy the world today, preferably on two wheels. Be well, my friends.

As always, thank you for reading this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)