This week's bike commute (Lubbock, TX)

Not much to update, no off-road riding, no progress on the cargo bike, but it's Thursday and I just came off of three straight days of commuting this week, and oh my gosh, it's been good stuff!

The sights:

I've been feverishly photographing birds in Lubbock parks before the Canadians arrive - lots of egrets, herons, and cormorants with some scattered migrating ducks. (Loving the new camera-phone Moto Mod!)

Tuesday after work

 Mornings are down in the low 40's this week, and it's been strangely nice to watch the first signs of our 1.5 weeks of fall roll in. Afternoons have been very windy and have made me thankful for the electric bike's pedal assist.

Tuesday before work (great blue heron and great egret)

The leaves have started turning but not yet falling. Traffic is not yet holiday frantic. Life is good.

The winter gear has been dusted off

Winter Gear

One recommendation I have for winter riding - get a snowboard helmet with removable earmuffs. When you look at the usual-suspect cold spots (ears, nose, fingers, and toes), keeping the ears warm and undrafty has my best bang for the buck in staying happy and healthy. Sure, I look like a dork, but not much more so than usual, and that helmet makes my ears toasty-joyous without wearing a beanie.

I've also gotten out the fleece neck-gaiter, fleece gloves, and the none-too subtle wind breaker. I prefer a windbreaker with a light coat rather than a heavy overcoat. Knowing there are often 30-40 degree temperature changes between morning and evening rides, layering keeps me flexible.

An open and shut case?

The Wald folding rear basket has also been a great addition -  hoping to add one more to the other side. (I may have a problem with too much stuff...and a deep-seated need to turn all bikes into cargo bikes.)

Yesterday's ride home

The one other bike addition I plan for is better lights. I find myself riding at dawn and dusk almost daily now, and I want to be seen better as drivers are facing the sun. If anyone has a recommendation for (low-priced) bright lights for suburban commuting, please let me know.

I think they read the sign

The most interesting cycling encounter this week

So there I was Monday morning heading south in the Memphis Ave bike lane when I heard a 2-stroke motor coming up behind me. A guy on a bright blue Huffy Cranbrook with a noisy motor came zooming by at twice my speed. I caught up to him at the light. I asked, "How's it going?" He grumbled about the miserable cold. The poor guy looked grim. We sat there awkwardly silent until the light turned green. I took off quickly. Half a block later he zoomed by, a cloud of blue smoke from a blue bike. I kept pedaling to work, happily, only my nose letting me know it was miserably cold.

The (Almost) Wrap-up

Life is good on a bike. Life is good out of a car. It's an amazing time for birdwatching.

No, biking is not for everyone, but the days I ride are so much better; and this town, not known for beauty, offers sparkling gems when you slow down a bit.

Scenes from today's non-bike commute

The weather today - winds 25-40 mph, high chance of rain with a chance of turning to snow. Today, I drove. It was depressing, so I still went past the park.

Unsettling grackles

Heron between gusts

Heron in a gust

May you have a wonderful day, not be knocked over by wind, and find something healthy that brings you as much joy and peace as I'm finding riding a bike and taking pics.

(Thank you for reading!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)