Visiting an Electric Bike Shop in Fort Worth

So, there I was taking the Chuck (the lab mix) for an early morning walk in Fort Worth. We rounded the corner, and there it was - a real, live electric bike store (Pedego Fort Worth). If you live in my part of the world, seeing an e-bike store is only slightly less rare than seeing sasquatch riding a unicorn.  But there it was! Of course, it was closed, but we saw an e-bike store. (For some reason, I was more impressed than Chuck was, but he was glad to see the hydrant out front.)

Cool building with built-in cargo container!

Pedego is not a brand I write about a great deal. I've run across very few in person, and, to be honest, their prices are (usually) out of my budget and many of their designs have seemed a little dated for my taste. On the other hand, they are known for high quality bikes and excellent customer service. For several years they have been an industry leader here in the states. They even have around 120 bike stores in the US. They are definitely doing something right.

I love a cantilever cruiser frame - the Comfort Cruiser $1899 (#1 of my three favorites)

Later in the day, as my wife and I were rushing to get out of town, she insisted we run by the shop. (I married well!)

A really great selection

We were greeted by Vicki, one of the owners. She happily showed us around and shared with us all the different models. I only found three that I wanted.

The Pedego Stretch Cargo Bike (#2 favorite)

400 pound capacity - lots of cool features

Of course I was thrilled to see the Stretch cargo bike. Having only seen it in pics, I liked the looks of it much better in person - especially in black. For you heavy, hilly haulers, they offer a dual-motor two-wheel-drive setup. If you're like me, the single-motor would be more than enough. Prices start at $4000.

Check out the blue bike!

My #3 favorite bike in the store was the most intriguing but also one of the most expensive. The Conveyor has a mid-drive motor with a drive belt and a 8-speed internally-geared hub. To me, that is the holy grail of commuter e-bike running gear. It's a combo that is super-low low-maintenance and gives the rider the ability to apply electric power through all of the gears without a derailleur or messy chain. It reminds me of one of my all-time favorite e-bikes - the Karmic Koben S. (And, like the Karmic, the Conveyor is really gorgeous.)

The Pedego Conveyor (#3 favorite)

A couple of things occurred to me as Vicki showed us around. The first was just how impressive the fit and finish is on these bikes. The paint was really, really shiny. The wiring was very neatly run. The components were well-chosen. Even the hard-ridden, used rental bikes looked great. The second was something that's been occurring to me for a little while now. What I had thought of as dated looks are also a really solid platform for dependable bikes. So, while sexy sells, having a solid bike that'll get you around town dependably is worth a great deal more than having all the gadgets and angular designs. Yes, Ferraris are gorgeous, but there's a reason most of us drive cars like Camrys and Civics.

Check it out - a police cruiser!

Also, I was surprised to learn that Pedego offers a few models down in the entry-level price range. The Comfort Cruisers and City Cruisers start at $1895. My only complaint with the bikes at that price is the lack of pedal assist (PedalSense), but that may be less important to you. Having a lower-priced electric bike with local dealer support - losing pedal assist may be worth it.)

Comfort Cruisers you can rent

Not only can you rent them, but you can buy some of the used bikes for $899.
(Now we're in the Mesquite Hugger price range - I kinda dig the purple one!)

Guess what my wife and I are renting the next time we're in Fort Worth.

All in all, it was an eye-opening visit and a great experience. If you find yourself in Fort Worth, swing by to check out some nice e-bikes and some great hospitality. While you're at it, rent a bike and cruise the Trinity River Trail. What better way to enjoy Cowtown than on a bike that helps you pedal?

May walking the dog lead you to great people and places, and may you find more and more reason to leave the stinky, gas-burning car at home. Be well, friends.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)