The Huff-Klunk Journal - First MTB Ride

This past week, a rare opportunity presented itself. I went riding strictly for fun!

I built the Huffy Klunker specifically for riding the bike trails at Lubbock's own Mae Simmons Park and I finally got to try it out.

(It says, "I'm stumped".)

I headed west on the faster trails, but the gravelly uphills were more challenge than I was up for, so I headed east where the trail is more level, has great curves, gentle berms, and a plethora of mesquite trees, prairie dogs, and seven-lined skinks - all great stuff for a mesquite hugger like me.

What did the fish yell when it swam into a concrete wall?

There were lots of birds out too. My favorite was a snowy egret stalking the mossy shallows below the dam.

Ignore the finger and check out the view - water, windmills, and trees!

The riding was a blast. There were a couple of jerseyed guys my age out there on 29" fully-suspended rigs. I hope they were having fun and getting away from their worries too, but a big part of my joy was in seeing how well the old klunker was performing. I had gotten this one mostly right. It was handling, shifting, and braking better than I was. Woohoo!

After catching my breath under a shade tree, I switched over to asphalt and rode the section near the dam. We have almost no hills around here, so it felt like flight as I coasted down to and across the dam road. What a great way to live!


A Huff-Klunk Update: Three $10 Upgrades and One $0 Upgrade

I have been riding the bike on the street lately and working out the initial bugs. Most of those bugs stemmed from my attempt to build the bike for as little money as possible. What I'm learning is that I weigh too much to use parts from department store bikes. In other words, I'm too fat to be (that) cheap.

The $0 upgrade

Replaced the quick-release rear wheel with a bolt on I already had - no more slippage! This upgrade made it possible to jump curbs and other such necessary hooliganism.

$10 Upgrade #1

Switched from a 44-tooth to a 36-tooth chainring - better suited to hill climbing. Money well spent.

$10 Upgrade #2

Installed a BMX stem with better bite - no slippage! Now I can get back to practicing manuals.

$10 Upgrade #3

Replaced plastic brake levers with Tektro alloy levers - so much better feel, braking, and adjustment. Squishiness be gone!

What's next?
Other than a little cleaning and polishing, the only other upgrade I plan is a better pair of rear caliper brakes. It's been a fun project and I hope to put a lot more miles on it this fall.

May your goofy projects bring you great joy, great health, and a much better outlook on life. Pedal hard and be well, friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)