More Lubbock Bike Lanes and a 100% Commute!

Pedaled Every Day this Week!

It's been a great week! Lots of things fell into place, and I pulled a 100% bike commute week. Yep, Monday-Friday I have been free to ride to work. (And I ran errands on the bike on Saturday and Sunday.) I've noticed that I've been in a steadily better mood over the last seven days. Yes, the car is  quicker and offers better weather protection, but it dulls the senses. When you spend your days in a windowless office, you don't have many senses left for dulling. I look forward to the ride when it's cold. I look forward to the ride when it's sweltering. I never look forward to the drive.

From this morning's ride

Okay, I know a 100% bike commute may not sound like much, but 60% is often a struggle. I've reached that point in life where the generation before and the generation after both need a fair amount of help. That means errands and doctor's appointments and stores and pharmacies and...well, the bike is often not the right tool for the job, snagit. But when it is, life is good!

These summer sunrises have been amazing

Bike Lanes in Lubbock!

Bike lanes are back in the news, and it looks promising for us Hub City pedalers. The proposed plans have us adding 103 miles of bike lanes to our existing 16 miles. That's a big jump! A statement from Greg Davis (DFC Cycles) sums up a sentiment I hear often from Lubbock cyclists: "Almost anything would be positive because we've done so much of nothing." You can learn more about the plan in the video below.


A second article showed up this week on the same subject from 107.7 Yes! FM. While it does not cover as much ground, it does provide a link to the Lubbock Bike Plan (which needed to be updated on the day I write this).


So, yes, I'm looking forward to more Lubbock bike lanes and hoping they create safer riding (and walking) for Lubbockites all over town. And I'm really, really, really hoping we build protected bike lanes:


May you ride safely and joyfully no matter where you ride, and may your senses be so much better than dull!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)