Fossil Free Friday: A Mini Mini-Electric-Tows-a-Big-Bird! Post

When I was kid growing up in Odessa, I never realized how cool it was that there were so many nifty old microcars around. (But I always thought they were the coolest.) I remember seeing one Messerschmitt driving, I located two BMW Isettas in backyards, and I drooled every time I saw the two Austin Minis. The first Mini was a Brtitish racing green Clubman Panel (across the street from Bowie Jr. High) and the second was an old Mini Cooper in full race mode - BBS wheels, fender flares, rally lights, and a racy three-tone paint job (blue, yellow, white). It even had racing numbers on the doors and lots of stickers in the quarter windows. (Strangely, it was also across the street from a junior high - Bonham.) So cool.

To this day, I still very badly want an old mini - but these days I want a classic electric Mini.


That's not to say I don't like modern Minis. I've test driven a handful of them and enjoyed them all, but they have not yet become as (or more) appealing as a classic Mini. But that may be changing...

For years now, BMW has been teasing us with the prospect of a widely available fully-electric Mini. They've offered up concept cars, show cars, and even some compliance cars, but they've never really put out a production e-Mini for the masses. But that is (hopefully) about to end. Just look at what they teased us with this week (on Electrek):


BMW, now you have our attention! May we all get excited about greener ways to get around! Now, where did I park my electric bike this time, snagit! Have a great weekend, and do your best to stay off the gas, friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)