LBK on a Bike: Excuses, Excuses and the National Bike Challenge

It's only the 11th and I already have excuses rather than results. I've ridden seven days and not ridden three.

Don't adjust your screen - it's just dirt flying at 50 mph.

Once I was thwarted by a thunderstorm, once I was thwarted by blowing dust, once I woke up with a sore throat and decided not to pedal, snagit.

See, there's more to Lubbock than basketball riots.

But the riding days have been good. They've been better than good. And that's what it's all about, getting out and feeling better about the world on the days you choose a bike over a car.

Our shoes and tires got wet!

The little guy and I did a 4-mile park loop on Saturday. After Friday night's storm, we actually had a water crossing! We had a mandatory "rest" stop at the jungle gym.

   
The klunker and the jeep

The rides to work were good too. The days I ride, I show up at work more relaxed and more focused. I get more accomplished. I even catch myself making healthier food choices so that I can be better able to pedal. I know it's not for everybody every day, but it sure helps me.

The older I get, the less I like being in a car. It's drudgery surrounded by (other) angry people. And I sure don't miss the quality time I spend at gas pumps glancing around at others who are just as unexcited to be there spending money and sucking fumes.

So, no, I will not be at 100% for days ridden in April, but the attempt is still an accomplishment.

Also...

...it's preparing me for the next big thing - the National Bike Challenge begins in May and runs through September. It's my favorite get-your-posterior-in-gearior event every year because it motivates me to pedal more.

May you find your own favorite get-your-posterior-in-gearior event that gets you burning fat rather than gasoline. Breathe easy, my friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)