Lubbock on a Bike: Skate Park Microadventure

It was a great week for biking. The 60% commute goal - I made it this week! I might've made 80%, but there was this flat tire on the back of the e-bike Friday morning.

So, I threw the poorboy BMX in the car and tackled a lunch-hour getaway. I learned this week that Lubbock has another skatepark (and BMX track) and it's about a mile from work. This week's microadventure -  my first-ever shot at riding a skatepark.

A view of the skatepark from the BMX track
(I really need to work on photo quality.)

The good news - I survived the trip! The bad news - I was not amazing, or even competent, but there were no broken bones or serious sprains. The other bad news - the bike didn't completely survive. I blew out a freewheel sprocket. (My heart and lungs were quite relieved when that happened - I definitely need to keep exercising!)

(In case you're looking for it)
(Green border added to balance the local dirt)

Panorama from the BMX track

With all that said, I can't wait to go back and try it again - I've been eating lunch at my desk all week and this microadventure let me truly see how much better life is outside!

The best smile I could muster between breaths

A youtube interlude:

Normally, youtube videos show up on this blog when there's a cool new cargo/electric bike or I throw out a Danny Macaskill vid, but it's time to fess up on my two guilty pleasures on youtube - Seth and Ali. Seth's Bike Hacks is an American youtube channel where Seth tackles hacks, rides, repairs, and general bike-ishness. Ali Clarkson is a Scottish trials rider who shares his tips, rides, challenges and successes. So I thought I'd share a video I saw this week where they both ended up in the same place, another one where Seth explains some skatepark basics and etiquette, and a third where Ali does some amazing riding in Edinburgh. Enjoy!




May you be inspired to get out and be healthy, have your own microadventures, and may the world be a better place for it! May you be blessed and a blessing!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)