The Big Huffy Spring Remodel - Here We Go Again!


As a kid, I was a bike snob. I could not imagine riding a Huffy! I was kind of a jerk back then. But I grew up, started paying my own bills, and figured out that I would never be a professional cyclist.

These days, I'm still kind of a jerk, but I'm quite happy to ride a Huffy. Any day I'm lucky enough to ride rather than drive is a good day. I've actually grown quite fond of the Huffy cruisers.


My first (successful) electric bike build was based on a Huffy Cranbrook. I bought it on Craigslist for $50 because I wanted a heavy steel frame to support a lot of weight in batteries. The batteries went into a toolbox in the middle of the frame. A really heavy brushed hubmotor was shoehorned into the front fork. The bike would run over 20 miles per hour and had a range of six miles IF you were conservative and pedaled a lot. It would stop in half a mile. And it destroyed its first tire in two weeks. (It was an amazing amount of fun!)

Huffy Number 2 - the Black Anole!
 
My second is this mid-80's cruiser my mother picked up in junk shop. It's been electric three different times and has been displayed at a few green transport booths. Currently it's non-electric and only gets ridden on trips of five miles or less. Definitely a fun Sunday cruiser.

 
The third Huffy is one I picked up to build the Electron Klunker. It has been a great (and well-documented) learning experience. I finished it just as I turned 50 and my wife bought me the Juiced Electric Bike. But it's not gathering dust - the wife rides it now, and it's nice to have the two electric bikes always ready to go. (It's not as powerful as the Juiced, but she still manages to ride faster. Hmmm.)
 
What's Huffening Next?
 
For the spring, I hope to build remodel two bikes. If you've been following the blog lately, they won't be any surprise.
 
Related image
Like this (but on the ground all the time!)
 
Huffy Number 1 will be re-purposed into an off-roader. It's time to build a real-deal klunker for riding at the Mae Simmons mountain bike trails. Last year I rediscovered the joy of riding in the dirt, and I can't imagine anything better for a klunky old guy to ride than a klunky old Huffy. The big questions for me are 1, 3, or 7-speed, and coaster or cantilever brakes? I'm stoked to get it built and hit the trails!
 
Huffy Number 2 will be re-purposed too. For me, this one is even more exciting. Based on the most-popular-Mesquite-Hugger/2WheelsMaybe post of all time, this build will be a no-weld, long-tail cargo bike. (Yes, it's this eco-dork's long-time dream!)
 
(Woohoo! I am finally going to build a cargo bike!)
 
I had originally hoped to pick up another $50 Huffy Cranbrook to see if I could build a functional and presentable cargo bike for less than $100, but I looked around the overcrowded garage and the undercrowded wallet and decided, yep, it's time to do some re-purposing. I plan to keep it very simple and focus on the frame and rack. If it works out well, I can look at upgrading the running gear. If you see a long black bike at a grocery store or hardware store in the LBK, chances are it'll be this beast.
 
So, those are the 2Wheels Maybe spring Huffy plans. How about you? Anybody else looking at building a klunker, a cargo, or some other pedal-powered project? Whatever gets you out and pedaling, we're all about it.
 
Be safe, healthy, and joyful, friends!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)