Another take on the Electric BMX - ZOOZ!

The didn't-make-it-this-time Indiegogo campaign

So, how did I miss this one the first time around? A big, bad, electric BMX straight outta Fort Worth - bring this thing on!

As I keep looking at klunkers, I keep running across the big-boy BMX bikes. I keep thinking I want one. In the early '90's I bought my first mountain bike, and I enjoyed it a great deal, but I remember an initial disappointment when I realized that it was not just a bigger BMX with gears. The geometry was all wrong for wheelies and hops and jumps and such.

Back then, there were companies making Big-Girl BMX bikes, but I wasn't aware of them until much later.

A 26" Redline Big-Person BMX (for us retro dorks)

So, I gave up wheelies and hops and spent a lot of time on my mountain bike, but the 10-year-old in me was always a little sad about the whole thing. (Which may explain why, forty years later, I've become obsessed with klunkers, Big-Being BMX bikes, dirt-jump bikes, and trials bikes. Snagit, I miss wheelies and hops!)

But this week, I belatedly discovered a bike that actually clicks all those off-road desires for a big guy like me:

(Yes, you dork, it is!)

As a guy who commutes often on an e-bike, I have to say that I love my ride but I would never consider abusing it like you see the riders on the Zooz in the video. I can't imagine it holding up to that kind of hooliganism.

So let's take a closer look at what makes this thing so tough.

Lots of powerful and beefy parts!

In real-world terms, it's an oversized BMX bike with a large 48 volt battery and a 1500 watt direct-drive hub motor and tough-enough for a motorcyle wheels. The Zooz is built to be more than this blogger will ever ask of an e-bike. It should hold up to abuse like a dirt bike, should be able to carry bigger people (like me) and should be a whole heck of a lot of fun!

So, what's the holdup?

Well, if you looked closely, you probably noticed that it did not hit its Indiegogo goal, snagit! Nope, you can't buy one - yet. But there's still hope:

Now, that's good news!

So, that leaves us all waiting for further word on Zooz further development. I will sure be excited to see what comes next for this e-bike that fills a gap in the eco-friendly fun machine market.

Chris, Pete, and Michael, we wish you all the best in getting this beast produced!

May we all find non-polluting ways to get around AND keep us smiling all the way!

PS: Click here to find the original Silodrome Article where I learned about the Zooz.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)