Ever met a Moke? (Vintage Mini car)

Yes, I love classic and oddball cars, so I've had this post in mind for a while. (Be patient, Mesquite Huggers, it'll turn green in a bit.) Growing up in West Texas, I didn't have much exposure to that many Bristish-made Austin cars, but I did fall in love with the Austin Mini and the Bug-Eyed Sprite early on. As a matter of fact I looked at each as a possibility for my first car. But I didn't become aware of the Moke's existence until much, much later. And I've never seen one in person.
 
 
 
Just last week, I almost had my chance. One showed up (You guessed it!) on Craigslist.
 
Don't find it on Amarillo Craigslist - it disappeared quickly!
 
Yep, there it was just a two hour drive north of here. But I invoked my new project mantra - The best way to avoid temptation is to avoid temptation. (I sent it to Chris and Grizz so they could be tempted instead - sorry, guys!) I guess we'll throw that on the one-that-got-away pile.
 
So, what's that got to do with 2Wheels Maybe?
 
These days, you can buy a new Moke in the USA and it runs on electrons! (Now we're talking!)
 
 
The Good News
 
If you're wanting one, the good news is they are made in the States! And they cost about half of what a Chevy Bolt will cost you (or a little more than ten times what a Radwagon will cost you). )In case you don't want to do the math, they start around $17,000.)
 
 

The Bad News
 
The bad news - this is a low-speed vehicle (LSV) with a top speed of 25 mph and a range on about forty miles.
 
So you won't be posting youtube vids of your Moke blowing the doors off of cars that actually have doors, but you may be posting videos of how much better life is in the low-pollution slow lane.
 
The Bad/Good News
 
Moke International does build and sell a gasoline version (snagit!) but they do not sell them in the USA. (Yea!)
 
So, there you go - an old local Moke (local Mokel?) and a new Floridian electric Moke.
 
Whatever gets you around, may it be fun and fossil-fuel free! Be well, my friends.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)