Woohoolio! The National Bike Challenge Begins!

Learn more at www.lovetoride.net

Tomorrow, May 1, is a big deal around here the Mesquite Hugger / 2Wheels Maybe corporate offices – the National Bike Challenge begins. The NBC is a big motivator for me. It is a daily reason to ride. It’s actually what helped me take a big leap to become a bicycle commuter rather than an occasional cyclist.

And I have to say, life is better on a bike.

What do I mean by better?


Personally:

My body is skinnier, my stamina exists, I smile more, I save money, I enjoy and look forward to my commute to work. I reduce my risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and obesity. Most of all, my spirit is healthier and more hopeful when I ride.


Environmentally:

This one’s pretty easy – no air pollution or noise pollution. The bicycle doesn’t burn coal or natural gas or gasoline or diesel, which leads to less habitat destruction and less war.


Communitarily: (I may have made that word up.)

 You make your town a better place to live – less traffic and less need for parking lots. Drastically fewer traffic fatalities. The car is the most dangerous killing machine we have. Just ask jackrabbits, coyotes, and armadillos!

All of this is to say:

Please try out the NBC this year. Give yourself a week. If you’re not ready for a commute to work, try riding a mile around your neighborhood a few times per week, or try running a local errand or two on the bike. It’s even better when you ride with the people you love or like or want to like more than you do. I’ve even met a few dogs that love a bike ride!

May you (literally) pedal (the majority of) your butt off!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)