old guy on a bike: the butt-to-wrist slope

[Today's post is dedicated to my wrists.]
 
I was checking out Electric Bike Review today, drooling over the Coboc ONE SoHo, and I caught myself making a list of changes I'd make. I realized that I've been doing that for the last few years when I check out a bike. You see, the Coboc is downright sexy as is, but it's a butt-in-the-air bike. I am not a butt-in-the-air rider. Sometimes I ride for recreation, but most of the time I ride to get to work or the store. Butt-in-the-air is just not that practical for middle-aged me getting around a busy town.
 
If I were to ride the Coboc (as pictured) all of my (considerable) weight would be on my wrists. After a short while, I'd find my hands tingling and my back groaning obscenities. The Coboc has a negative BTW slope. Ouch.
 
 
What I figured out is that I do a BTW slope measurement every time I my gaze falls upon a new bike. If the slope is negative or flat, I start looking at ways to give it a positive slope.
 
How do you reverse a slope? You spend money - on some new parts.
 
 
The three most common slope-change parts to buy are taller handlebars, taller stems, and stem risers. Ideally, you'll only need one of the three. All are designed to get your wrists higher than your butt. Yes, you'll be less aerodynamic, but your wrists will love you and your back will groan less. And you'll be more inclined (pun intended) to keep on pedaling. So, your bike, your wallet, and the air we breathe will love you too.
 
May lots of good stuff love you!
 
PS. My wrists asked me to recommend adding a pair of locking ergonomic grips whenever you start buying parts to change your BTW slope. (They keep asking me to buy a pair of Ergon grips like the ones pictured below.)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)