Lubbock Cyclists (and Walkers) - Be heard! Get involved without leaving your chair!

Another gorgeous morning sky today
 
Yesterday I ran across an article from Awesome 98: Lubbock is thinking about improving biking and walking around the city
 
Here's a quote from the article:
 
If you have ever complained that its too dangerous to ride your bike or walk in Lubbock, you're not alone. I try to ride my bike a lot when the weather is good, but I make sure I stay away from any big streets because even having to cross them quickly is damn near impossible.
 
Me, I felt the same way a few years ago, but then I joined the National Bike Challenge, started commuting to work a few days per week, and overcame (most) of my fear of crossing the big streets. (And life became much better!)
 
How about you? Do you ride? Do you walk? Would you ride or walk more if you found it easier/safer?
 
Why do I ask? Well, the Awesome98 article contains two links where the city is asking for your input into this discussion. One is a survey where you can answer questions about biking and walking infrastructure and culture. The other is a Wiki-map that allows you to point out specific areas in Lubbock where you'd like to see improvement and where you ride to. I had lots of fun pointing and clicking and answering questions about my favorite way to get around Lubbock. (I do a fair amount of walking too, but I prefer to pedal.)

 
Link to the survey (and places to learn more)
 
So, Lubbockites - jump on it! Chime in and let the planning commission know what you think. The worse thing we can do is sit quietly hoping someone else will do something about it.

May we be heard, and may we offer up some good information and advice, and may Lubbock become a healthier, safer place to get around!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)