One (Very Good) Year with an E-Bike


Should I go into bumper stickering?
(Or stick with my day job?)

From last weekend's ride

It's been a full year now since my wife bought me an electric bike. It's been a good year!

The most important thing I can tell you about it - I ride a lot more (and drive less) because I have it. And that is what I wanted out of it - healthier heart and lungs, less contribution to polluting the planet.

It's also been a very dependable ride. It's a workhorse.

Before the rear rack (first ride)

What have I done to it?
  • Replaced the skimpy tubes with thorn-resistant tubes and added tire sealant to those. (I've not had a flat since. Do this with every bike you bring home!)
  • Added the rear rack.
  • Swapped the handlebars and stem.
  • Adjusted the brakes often.
  • Adjusted the derailleur twice. (I'm thankful there's just one.)
  • Added a Wald collapsible side basket. (Very happy with this addition!)

What will I do soon:
  • Replace the brake pads
  • Adjust the derailleur
Just right, Goldilocks!

What would I like to but am to cheap to add?
  • Add a suspension seat post
  • Swap up to hydraulic disc brakes
What are my favorite attributes?
  • The torque/cadense sensor and pedal assist (PA is uber important for the way I ride.)
  • The big cushy tires
  • The big cushy seat
  • The overall look of the thing
  • 500 watts is the sweet spot for this heavy commuter

What's my least favorite part?
  • No LCD screen (It's really the only thing I don't like about it.) Speed, distance, tripmeter, odometer, assist level, power usage - all would be nice.
Is it a toy?
The bike has taken on an interesting role. Nope, it's not a toy. It is a commuting machine. While I truly enjoy riding it, I don't ride it for pleasure. If I'm running an errand or going to work, I ride it. If I'm riding for recreation or staying within two miles, I still ride a non-electric bike. Actually, I've gotten back into mountain biking, BMX, and somewhat into trials. The bike I'm using for those is very much a toy.

One big plus - Energy!
The e-bike helps me stay active but leaves me enough energy for living. When I commuted by regular bike, I arrived at work and home desperately needing to rest (nap). With this bike, there is more energy (and time) to get stuff done.


How does it help me to ride more?
I admit it, on a non-electric bike, I'm none too tough. When the weather gets too hot, too cold, or (most often) too windy, I can come up with 4000 reasons not to ride. But the pedal assist on the e-bike erases most of those. Even on days when I have little energy, I can bump up the pedal assist level and still enjoy the ride. Rain and passengers are now my biggest reasons not to ride.

The last day of summer (no school!) commuting

When do I not ride it?
When I need to take a passenger, when I have a lot to carry, when I have a lot of spread-out stops or when it's raining. (As I said, I'm none too tough.) The passenger thing is the biggest reason that I still drive a car often, but I always find myself wishing I were pedaling instead.

Why this e-bike?
When deciding on a simple electric bike, I had narrowed my choices down to two sub-$1500 models - this bike, a Juiced OceanCurrent, or a Radwagon cargo bike. Had I chosen the cargo bike, I'd ride it a few more times per month, but I love riding this one. I'm no Mike Ness, but it has a bit of flat-black-rat-rod-cool that helps me feel a little less like a dumpy guy who spends his days under fluorescent lights. (Maybe I need a Juiced logo tat on my forearm and some Dippity-Do BrylCreem.) I would happily recommend this bike to anyone looking, but Juiced no longer sells the OceanCurrent.

My next first tattoo?

Want something similar?
If you want something mechanically similar, check out the Aventon Pace 500 ($1400) or 350 ($1100). If you want something cosmetically similar, check out this post and/or Pedego Bikes ($$), Vintage Electric Bikes ($$$) or Ariel Rider ($+).

Any other suggestions? (Hauling Stuff)
One place that I could've done better in choosing was finding a bike with a built in rear rack or actually going after a mid-tail cargo bike. I've put a lot of effort into finding the right rack, the right hardware, and the right panniers. (And I'm still looking!) If you're planning on commuting, keep in mind that we humans like our stuff and always need to take stuff with us. Backpacks get heavy and sweaty. Aftermarket racks can be pretty fiddly. For me, I often need to carry a change of clothes, a very heavy lock, sometimes a laptop bag, always a journal, sometimes groceries, always a book or three...You get the idea. For inspiration, check out the red Yuba Boda Boda stepover (gorgeous!) or the new Xtracycle RFA (it's a Swiss Army knife with wheels) or the Benno Boost (sexy!)

Okay, that's about it. As always, I appreciate you for reading all the way to the bottom. 
If you have questions or comments, please let me know. May you joyfully develop a healthier heart and lungs while contributing less to the destruction of our planet.

Be well, Friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)