LBK on a Bike: National Bike Challenge 2019

Woohoo! It's that time of year again!



The National Bike Challenge begins next Wednesday, so this weekend is a great time to dust off the old bike, borrow a bike, buy a bike, or create a really clever disguise for your car.



What's that? You're not planning to join? Oh come on! Haven't you been saying you need more exercise, more sunshine, more optimism, more stamina, and nicer legs? Haven't you been complaining about the rising cost of gasoline? Didn't I hear you say you don't want to pay for a gym membership? (Oh, come on - surely something in there struck a chord for you.)


So, let's talk about the challenge's virtues:
  • It's free to join.
  • You can win prizes.
  • It can truly pedal you to a healthier place.
  • There's no minimum or maximum - it's encouragement to get out and ride.
  • You don't have to ride every day (but you can.)
  • If you are competitive, it's a great place to find people to compete against.
  • If you're an introvert, it's a great way to compete with yourself.


For me, it has made a big difference. I weigh about twenty pounds less than I did the first time I joined. Each spring I grow stronger and more able to get my butt off the couch. This year, I've branched out even more - I'm embracing the bike as recreation as well as transportation. And I'm loving it! During stressful times, the bike lessens my worries. During happier times, the bike helps me to be more thankful for the blessings.

Okay, I'll stop going on, but I wanted to encourage you to embrace some healthier choices, and the NBC is a great place to start.

Be well, my friends, and work at being healthy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)