Fossil Free Friday: EVs join the 24 Hrs of LeMons!!!

It's a good thing I'm not independently wealthy; otherwise, this announcement might have started a whole new obsession or at least cost my family a whole lot of time and money! (No worries, Honey, I keep chanting my "No new projects!" mantra.)

Yes, I know I'm an eco-dork. I fully realized it a few years back when I started wanting an electric car - a very specific electric car - the Vanguard Citicar. Until the Tesla came around, the Citicar was the most successful electric car created on American soil. (It's not as impressive as it sounds - we Norte Americanos have had little love for electric cars.) To this day, I get excited when that distinctive wedge shape pops up in any media.

Recently, the little-car-that-barely-could popped up on Jalopnik in an article about the 24 Hrs of Lemons. So I clicked on it immediately. There was a little disappointment when I realized that there was no actual Citicar in the article, but I was still excited to see the content - the 24 Hrs of Lemons racing series is now welcoming EV's in their races! Yeah!


The 24HoL series is a grass-roots racing series based on racing crappy $500 cars. It's poorboybeing racing at its most creative and whimsical. Check out a random sampling of the race cars below:

How are those for cool race cars?

So I'm excited on all kinds of levels. Humans love to race. Gasoline-powered race machines contribute mightily to climate damage and environmental destruction. It's cool to see eco-friendlier racing that's more accessible to those of us who have more creativity than money, and dagnabbit, I want to build a race version of George Jetson's car out of an AMC Pacer! (Or at least finally build that hot rod Citicar of my dreams).


Okay, I better get to work now. May you live fast, furious, curious, and green!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)