Fossil Free Friday: EVs join the 24 Hrs of LeMons!!!

It's a good thing I'm not independently wealthy; otherwise, this announcement might have started a whole new obsession or at least cost my family a whole lot of time and money! (No worries, Honey, I keep chanting my "No new projects!" mantra.)

Yes, I know I'm an eco-dork. I fully realized it a few years back when I started wanting an electric car - a very specific electric car - the Vanguard Citicar. Until the Tesla came around, the Citicar was the most successful electric car created on American soil. (It's not as impressive as it sounds - we Norte Americanos have had little love for electric cars.) To this day, I get excited when that distinctive wedge shape pops up in any media.

Recently, the little-car-that-barely-could popped up on Jalopnik in an article about the 24 Hrs of Lemons. So I clicked on it immediately. There was a little disappointment when I realized that there was no actual Citicar in the article, but I was still excited to see the content - the 24 Hrs of Lemons racing series is now welcoming EV's in their races! Yeah!


The 24HoL series is a grass-roots racing series based on racing crappy $500 cars. It's poorboybeing racing at its most creative and whimsical. Check out a random sampling of the race cars below:

How are those for cool race cars?

So I'm excited on all kinds of levels. Humans love to race. Gasoline-powered race machines contribute mightily to climate damage and environmental destruction. It's cool to see eco-friendlier racing that's more accessible to those of us who have more creativity than money, and dagnabbit, I want to build a race version of George Jetson's car out of an AMC Pacer! (Or at least finally build that hot rod Citicar of my dreams).


Okay, I better get to work now. May you live fast, furious, curious, and green!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Cannoli, Mongoose Man! The Envoy Cargo Bike is coming to the US!

Vintage Electro-Dorks: Check it out! Auranthetic Charger for Sale

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)