It's on, people! 2020 Bike Month and the National Bike Challenge!



May 1 is downright magical here at the Mesquite Hugger desk. It's an anniversary. Joining the National Bike Challenge on May 1, 2014 was my start to bicycle commuting. You can read the post here. So here I am seven years later in a very different life and still thrilled to have the month and the challenge roll around again.

Honestly, I was scared to start. I had a sedentary lifestyle and a body shape to match. And I viewed Lubbock traffic as a suicide run for anyone not in a car. But I was overweight, high blood-pressured, and wanting to save the world. And the bicycle seemed like a great tool for tackling all those issues.

So I got up the nerve to try it.

And I'm truly thankful I did.

I've learned that life is better on a bike. I'm in much better shape than I was seven years ago. I like the town I live in better and I've discovered a lot of beauty I had not noticed. I have more stamina. I look forward to going places for the ride as much as the destination.

So, here are some opportunities for you to do the same favor to yourself:

Get involved in Bike Month



 Join the National Bike Challenge




Check out these sites on biking in the Coronavirus Era



My last ditch pitch

In case you're not convinced yet, what have you got to lose? You can:
  • avoid more screen time
  • avoid a number of health risks
  • easily maintain your social distance while riding
  • avoid paying for a gym membership
  • have nicer legs
  • get to know your town
  • clear your head
  • clear your lungs
  • enjoy life.

Alright, I'll wrap this up (so I can go for a ride!)

May you be healthy and well, and may May be a great start for you!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)