Street Trials over the Hill and National Bike Challenge - Some Progress

I worked on the blue bike long enough to learn that it was a poor choice, so I switched to the old 24" big-boy-BMX, and the conversion went much better.

The mostly "after" pic

Yes, I know - the geometry is all wrong for a trials bike, but my geometry is all wrong for a trials rider AND I don't expect to do this competively (or even successfully). I hope to spend more time on a bike, and this is a very challenging way to do so.

The all-important $10 chain tensioner

What changes did I make?

  • Added a wider, more substantial back tire $18
  • tuned up the brakes and added new brake pads $10
  • changed the stem (used-free) and added a pair of pit-bike handlebars $25
  • added a chain tensioner $10
  • swapped the knackered bottom bracket and cranks for a better pair with a lower gear (used-free)
What changes are left?

  • swap the stem for one that places the bars higher and farther forward
How does it ride?

Terribly! Like nothing I've ever ridden before. There's a park about four blocks from home. I rode over there and was absolutely exhausted by the time I arrived. (The gear ratio of 22:18 is not meant for covering ground!) But I am able to bunny hop well-ish, wheelie hop poor-ish, and I have practiced track stands horribly. (Macaskill better watch out!)


Taken September 30th - the last day of the NBC

The National Bike Challenge has concluded for another year. My biggest accomplishment this year was riding every single day of September. (Actually, my streak went from August 29th to October 4. A big improvement over the summer's riding. And I (once again) loved having the bit of added encouragement to ride. 

Tiny catfish spotted on the last day's ride - a thrilling reward for a dork like me.

What's next in the biking adventure?

The little brother and I have been riding the mountain bike trails at Mae Simmons Park (and loving it!) So, I'm upgrading the old Motobecane to disc brakes - I've been riding the commuter bike complete with rear rack and skinny tires.

My wife and I have been riding the electric cruisers around on nice evenings  - I love that time with her.

And I'm trying to get up the nerve to build a DIY cargo bike like the ones at the bottom of this post.

The little bro at Mae Simmons - good times!

And the more I ride, the more I love riding. Quiet, clean, and joyful transportation. At the same time, I dislike cars and traffic more and more.

May your life be clean and joyful and tiny catfishy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)