The Present has Pedals

A few weeks back I had one of those significant birthdays, so my wife bought me a significant birthday present.

What did she buy?

She bought me the ability
  • to burn less gas more consistently
  • to practice what I preach
  • to experience the world outside rather than angry isolation in a box
  • to thumb my nose at the West Texas wind (my cycling nemesis)

Still don't know?

Okay, she bought me an electric bike. A really cool electric bike.

Here it is - a Juiced OceanCurrent.
 
Like me, the OceanCurrent is very simple - no suspension, disc brakes, easy controls, and an 8-speed drivetrain. It's not blue-toothed or GPS-ed or self driving. Like me, it has a large seat. It has fat tires that roll easily. (I tire easily too.)
 
Here it is after I added the rack from DFC (Local Bike Shop).
 
And I must say, Juiced got this bike right. I wanted it for a dependable, low-cost, relaxed commuter with a little old-school style, and it is exceeding my expectations.
 
It can be (but does not have to be) very fast. It's advertised at 24 miles per hour. With some hard pedaling I've made it up to 28 on a few occasions.
 
 
On the other hand, with the power turned off, it cruises nicely at little-brother-on-an-electric-scooter speed.  (Just be sure to put it in 3rd gear.)

Here it is after I adapted the upcycled pannier.
 
I can get three round-trip work commutes (about 28 miles) in per charge provided I lay off the hot rodding. I just put it in 6th gear on assist level 2 and it's a great ride. One of my favorite parts of the bike is how well-matched the 8-speed drivetrain is to the power provided by the 48 volt geared hub motor. Unlike the e-bikes I've ridden in the past, it's extremely easy to match the gear with assist level. Even at top speed the motor and my effort are simpatico. It's really a pleasure to ride!
 
I've had it 19 days and I've ridden a bike every single day since it arrived; not necessarily to work every day, but at least two miles each day. My favorite part of the bike is how easily it cuts through my excuses not to ride. Wind and distance just don't intimidate me like they used to.
 
No, it's not perfect, but it is a whole lotta bike for the money!
 
Watch this space for more technical details, upgrades, and for the grueling decision to choose this bike over a Radwagon - what a tough problem to have. ;-)
 
May you too find eco-friendly transport that keeps you smiling all the way home.
 
[¡Muchisimas gracias, mi querida!]

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finally - tackling the No-Weld, Longtail DIY Cargo Bike (for hopefully less than $100)

New Turn-Key Klunkers (Or DIY your own)

A Return to Low $ Turn-Key Klunkers (Under $500)